Friday, February 19, 2010

Raw Milk Interviews: Winton Pitcoff of NOFA; Terri Lawton of Oake Knoll Ayrshires

If you're new to my blog, you might easily conclude that I'm interested in only kimchi and raw milk. Which I don't recommend combining.

I can see why you might come to this conclusion. It's not true, I assure you.

Nonetheless:

Here's an excellent interview with Winton Pitcoff, who heads the Raw Milk Network for the Massachusetts chapter of the Northeast Organic Farming Association:

http://localisbetter.org/2010/02/15/raw-milk-in-mass-part-1/

And one with Terri Lawton of Oake Knoll Ayrshires, the only remaining dairy of any kind in Norfolk County, Massachusetts:

http://localisbetter.org/2010/02/19/raw-milk-in-mass-part-2/

Terri offers a perspective on the strict regulation of the sale of raw milk in Massachusetts:
Do you think it’s unfair that raw milk can only be sold on the farm where it’s produced [in Massachusetts]?
I think it’s wild that a person can go to any store and buy cigarettes or alcohol. Certainly cigarettes are known to have no additive effect to anyone’s health. And whether or not raw milk does—and a lot of studies that say that it does—but regardless of whether it does, it’s certainly not as inherently harmful as smoking cigarettes or chewing tobacco. There’s no problem with selling any kind of tobacco at any kind of store. I think that’s pretty outrageous. If that’s allowed, there shouldn’t be any problem allowing raw milk.
She has a good point.

4 comments:

Choclette said...

After having virtually given up on the idea of being able to find any raw milk, we have finally struck lucky and now have delicious local organic raw milk from Ayreshires - we are ecstatic!

Zeke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zeke said...

Wow, I can believe I missed so many typos the first time. Let me try again.

Milk and Kimchi is not as bad a combination as you make it out to be. I made some kimchi jigae with habanero kimchi once. It was so hot I added half and half to the pot to cool it down. It was a surprisingly pleasant addition.

Alex Lewin said...

Maybe I need to make some kimchi ice-cream to tie it all together. (Sweetened with unrefined sweeteners only, of course!)