Twenty-one kimchis entered the contest, and as I said during the awards ceremony, I would have been psyched to have had any of them on my dinner plate next to my favorite barbequed something. I was thrilled with the event.
Here are the award-winners:
- Best Professional Kimchi: Jum Nam of Shabu Ya Restaurant, Cucumber Kimchi
- Most Innovative: Il Sun Jeon, Fruit Kimchi
- Most Innovative: Didi Emmons, Lemon Kimchi
- Best Traditional Cabbage: Tom Novotny, Kiss Me Kimchi
- Best Traditional Non-Cabbage: Patricia Yu, Radish Kimchi
- Best In Show: Patricia Yu, Radish Kimchi
A HUGE thank-you to the community of the Theodore Parker Church, who lent their space, their tables, and most of all, their time and energy to this event. Without their work, the Greater Boston Kimchi Festival would truly never have happened.
I would also like to acknowledge the other organizers, Cora Roelofs, Steve Greene, and Phil Paik of JP Seafood. It was a fantastic experience working with such passionate, like-minded people to help realize our vision of the Greater Boston Kimchi Festival.