Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Foodoro

A month or two ago, I met some folks who created a web marketplace for artisinal foods: Foodoro.com. I don't endorse everything they sell on their site but some things caught my eye…
  • Zukay live fermented salsas and relishes. I met the founder of the company at the Fourfold Path to Healing conference, and I've been eating their salsas. They're great! They have a zing to them that's missing from "garden variety" salsas. It's because they're live. Fermented foods have been a traditional accompanyment to meats, because fermented foods are a boon to digestion. Think of sauerkraut with sausages and pork; cornichons with pâté; kimchi with kalbi; cole slaw with barbeque. The problem is that nowadays, most pickles, relishes, salsas, etc. are not fermented—they are preserved with vinegar, and they are bottled and pasturized, so they don't have the health benefits of their archetypes. Zukay (and a few others) do it right.
  • Tiensvold organic buffalo steaks and ground buffalo. Buffalo is great. I am tempted to order some. The prices are surprisingly low.
  • American Abalone farmed abalone, live or frozen. I am intrigued.
If anyone buys from Foodoro and would like to post follow-up, please feel free to comment here!

No comments: